In the late nineteen-sixties and early seventies the area between Dundrum and Sandyford was developed, and in 1977 a new parish was formed and named after the largest new housing estate, Balally.
One of the residents in Balally, Mick Brown, of Naomh Fionnbarra GAA club, Cabra, recognised the need for a new club to cater for the growing young population.
In July 1981 the new Naomh Ólaf club was offically formed. One of the schools in Balally had already been named St. Olafs after the Patron Saint of Norway, Olaf II Haraldsson, who was a Viking King of Norway from 1015 to 1028, converting Norway to Christianity. Balally in old reference books is called Baile Mhic Amhlaoibh ( the town of the son of Olaf ).
Claret and blue were chosen as the official club colours.
Baile Mhic Amhlaoibh (Olafs Town) was the Irish name given to the local area now known as Balally. The Olaf in question is Sigtrygg 'Silkbeard' Olafsson who was a Hiberno-Norse King, one of the first Viking Kings of Dublin.
After a trip to Rome he instigated the building of Christ Church Cathedral, the oldest building in Dublin, around the year 1028. It was originally made of wood. Sigtrygg was married to Brian Boru's daughter, Sláine. He ruled a thriving Dublin for 42 years, and introduced the first use of coins. In Norwegian, Olav and Olaf are traditionally used when referring to Norwegian royalty of that name.
Warrior Queen Máel Muire was the daugher of Sitrygg and her surname was Ólafr/Amlaib leading armies into battle.
The viking ship on the Dublin GAA crest represents the DLR/Sandyford area (and of course our own viking Ballaly/Ólafs area) - and reflects the viking ship on the Naomh Ólaf crest - hence a Viking club in a Viking city.
The Naomh Ólaf GAA Club crest now has elements of both the Naomh Ólaf club on a blue background and the Dundrum /Churchtown club mounted on a claret field.
This element of the crest represents the raven in the Naomh Ólaf coat of arms and represents the Sandyford catchment. It is derived from the Raven’s Rock on the Wicklow Way, a large rock which overlooks Dublin and Wicklow. In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") are female figures who choose who lives or dies in battle. The valkyries, sometimes depicted as ravens, escorted their chosen to the afterlife hall, Valhalla, ruled by the god Odin.
The Usher monument represents the Dundrum area and celebrates Dr. Isaac Usher, a resident of the town, who was renowned for his work in support of the locality. Dr. Usher was one of the first motoring fatalities in Ireland in 1917 and the stone obelisk was erected in his memory.
The Viking ship was part of the family crest of Olaf (Amhlaoibh) and therefore acknowledges the Balally region of the club’s catchment area. Dublin GAA also has a Viking Ship on its crest. Naomh Ólaf GAA Club is a Viking club in a Viking City.
The Bottle Tower is an iconic structure in Churchtown representing that region of the club’s catchment area. It was constructed as famine relief work during the winter of 1741 - 42 and paid for by Major Hall, a notable resident of Churchtown.
Naomh Ólaf GAA- The Viking Club in a Viking City. Collaboration with Appletons
First AGM Elected Committee, 1981.
Front row l to r: Matt Bermingham (Registrar), Dolores Buggy, Mick Brown (Chairman), Frank Gaynor (Secretary), Finbar Brogan (PRO).
Back row l to r:< Kevin O'Malley, Flan McCarthy (Treasurer), Brendan McGlynn, Bill O'Brien (Vice-Chairman), John Brady. (Absent: Frank Harty, Maurice Holland).
Naomh Ólaf GAA Club came into being in 1981. Mick Brown of Naomh Fionnbarra, Cabra is credited with being the founding father of the club. He was ably assisted by a group of Balally residents who had the foresight to see the need and potential of Gaelic games in the area.
The first AGM of Naomh Ólaf GAA Club took place on Thursday, 26 November 1981, in Queen of Angels’ school. The use of playing fields was kindly granted to Naomh Ólaf GAA Club by St. Benildus College. Dundrum/Churchtown GAA Club amalgated with Naomh Ólaf GAA Club in 1999.
Others deeply involved in the Club during the formative years were Ven Naughton, Jack Horgan, Pat McGuire, Mick Waters, Liam Kavanagh and Sean Mac Giolla Fhearga.
St. Olaf Primary School Where First Club Meetings Were Held, 1980s.
First Naomh Ólaf u14 Team.
u10 Football League Winners, 1981/82.